- Everybody deserves to be free from the fear of having to go without needed care or suffer deprivation in order to pay high medical bills.
- Everyone deserves to have equal access to health care regardless of income level, health condition, employment circumstances, immigration status, age, or marital status.
- Restricting the availability of adequate health insurance to those who have it through an employer, those who can purchase it on the private market, or those who have it through a government-subsidized program has left millions with inadequate coverage.
- Working together, we can develop a single-payer system that provides affordable and universal access to high quality health care.
We believe a single-payer system is the way to achieve universal health care because:
- It saves money on administration by having one agency collect all funds and pay all bills, with costs further reduced through price negotiation and bulk purchase of pharmaceuticals and medical supplies.
- Savings can be used to finance comprehensive benefits for all residents.
We believe universal health care needs to be guaranteed by and for society, similar to police and fire protection, education, and defense.